Morocco Energy Information
Morocco Key Figures
GDP growth rate: -7.0 %/year
Energy independence: 10.2%
Data of the last year available: 2020
CO2 Emissions: 1.67 tCO2/capita
Rate of T&D power losses: 16.7%
* at purchasing power parity
View all macro and energy indicators in the Morocco energy report
Morocco Related News
View all news, archive your new and create your own daily newsletters only on your topics/countries of interest with Key Energy Intelligence
Morocco Related Research
Total Energy Consumption
Per capita energy consumption is 0.56 toe (around 42% below the North Africa average), including around 900 kWh of electricity (38% below the regional average) (2020).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
The progression of total energy consumption slowed down between 2010 and 2019 (+3 %/year, compared to 4.5%/year over 2000-2010) and decreased by 7% in 2020 to around 21 Mtoe.
Interactive Chart Morocco Total Energy Consumption
Crude Oil Production
The national production of hydrocarbons is low. All the oil products are imported since the shutdown of the sole refinery of the country in 2015 (200 000 bbl/d). Oil product imports increased rapidly from 2015 to 2019 (+6%/year) and decreased by 12% in 2020 due to the COVID crisis.
Interactive Chart Morocco Crude Oil Production
Oil Products Consumption
Oil product consumption increased rapidly between 2000 and 2012 (+5.7%/year, on average), reaching a peak of 12 Mt, and then remained roughly stable until 2019 (around 12.5 Mt). It decreased by 12% in 2020.
The transport sector consumes 48% of oil products, followed by industry (20%) and the residential-services sector (31%).
Graph: OIL CONSUMPTION (Mt)
Graph: OIL CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2020, %)
Interactive Chart Morocco Refined Oil Products Production
Natural Gas Consumption
Gas consumption is declining since 2017, when it reached 1.2 bcm, due to the increased competition of coal in the power sector. It increased significantly between 2005 and 2012, after the commissioning of the Tahaddart and Tarfaya plants. Gas consumption was around 0.8 bcm in 2020.
The power sector accounted for 89% of gas consumption in the country in 2020, the rest being consumed by industry (11%).
Graph: NATURAL GAS CONSUMPTION (bcm)
Interactive Chart Morocco Natural Gas Domestic Consumption
Coal consumption surged (+10%/year) between 2014 and 2019 with the commissioning of new coal power plants and remained stable in 2020 (around 10 Mt).
Coal is entirely used for power generation.
Graph: COAL CONSUMPTION (Mt)
Graph: COAL CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2020, %)
Interactive Chart Morocco Coal and Lignite Domestic Consumption
Electricity consumption more than doubled between 2000 and 2012 with the implementation of the electrification program (+6.5%/year, on average). The progression was much slower between 2012 and 2017 (+2.7%/year), then electricity consumption remained broadly stable at around 33 TWh until 2019 and decreased by 1.9% in 2020.
Industry is the largest electricity consumer (37% in 2020), followed by households (34%) and services (17%).
Graph: ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION (TWh)
Renewable in % Electricity Production
Masen, the Moroccan Agency for Sustainable Energy, was established in 2010 to manage developments of solar power. Its responsibilities were extended in 2016 to coordinate all renewable projects, including wind and hydro. ONEE and AMEE will gradually transfer to Masen all projects and assets related to renewables over a transitional period of 5 years.
Interactive Chart Morocco Share of Renewables in Electricity Production (incl hydro)
Benefit from up to 2 000 up-to-date data series for 186 countries in Global Energy & CO2 data
Learn more about renewables in the Mini grid Africa & Asia markets for village electrification
CO2 Fuel Combustion/CO2 Emissions
Morocco ratified the Paris Agreement in 2016 and submitted its updated NDC in 2021, which sets an unconditional target of an 18.3% reduction in GHG emissions by 2030 (compared to a BAU projection, 17% in previous NDC). The country will have to invest US$18bn to reach this goal. Morocco could commit to an additional 27% target on condition of international financial support of around US$21.5bn. The action plan consists of 61 options, 34 of which are unconditional. Electricity production and industry are the main contributors to the effort (35% and 30% respectively).
Secured payment by