2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Buy Water electrolyser manufacturing capacity report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
The growing interest in low-carbon and renewable energy solutions, including wind and solar, has propelled research and innovation in electrolysers and related components. As a result, the industry is witnessing an increase in both commercial deployment and large-scale projects. The commercial viability of alkaline and PEM (Proton Exchange Membrane) electrolysers, among other technologies, has been explored extensively. These technologies not only lower the production costs but also offer opportunities for small-scale and large-scale applications, ranging from transportation to energy storage systems. With continuous advancements in materials, manufacturing efficiency, automation, stack design, and operational efficiency, the electrolyser industry is on the brink of transformative changes.
Global manufacturing capacity of electrolysers is projected to produce from as low as the current production of 10 GW/year to more than 30 GWs by 2025. On a cumulative basis (ie. considering all production from 2023 until 2030), this amounts to 330 GWs capacity by 2030. As electrolysers are critical in creating green hydrogen that uses renewable energy in its production, today, the technology’s application is put in the spotlight. Our team of analysts compiled a comprehensive report on global electrolysers production capacity, covering the period from 2021 to 2030. The report analysed and consolidated data gathered from industrial stakeholders. The evaluation encompassed diverse perspectives, including geographical, technological, and production sites statuses.
Electrolyser production capacity by factory status
The main purpose of this report is to quantify the uptake of electrolyser manufacturing. We identified tier 1 and tier 2 manufacturers and integrators of water electrolysers over 144 industrial companies worldwide. This ranking of tier 1 and tier 2 companies is based on their existing and planned capacities up to 2030 and consists of 12 companies, among which there are NEL HYDROGEN, ITM POWER, PLUG, CUMMINS, and THYSSENKRUPP. Each of these companies is profiled on their offer & technologies, finances, production & supply chain, and sales & project pipeline. We also localize each factory and provide a global analysis of key parameters such as investment cost, construction time, etc. Finally, we summarise by key region the installed capacity and put them in perspective with regional (Europe, U.S., China) targets in terms of installations or H2 production.
The report's insights into key manufacturers, their capacities, and global installation status provide invaluable guidance for investors, policymakers, and industry stakeholders seeking to navigate the evolving landscape of green hydrogen production.
In this overview, we emphasise the importance of electrolyser on the way to reaching zero emissions. Their role in utilising natural electricity sources, such as wind and solar power, is critical for a sustainable future. Our report also delves into potential future scenarios, considering emerging technologies like Solid Oxide Electrolyser Cells (SOEC), and reviews publications and reports to offer a comprehensive view. These insights into the size of the industry, its support from governments, and the years of research and development invested, highlight the direct impact electrolysers may have in shaping a clean energy future.
Discover in the report such topics, as:
- Electrolysers manufacturing capacity, globally and regionally
- Major electrolyser manufacturers – with a special attention to all 12 Tier 1 and Tier 2 manufacturers
- Hydrogen and electrolyser cost targets from companies
- Recap of USA, China, Europe strategies on H2 and particularly green H2 production
- Global coverage: from startup to corporate groups, all electrolyser producing companies are mentioned in the report. The special focus on leaders (in manufacturing capacity) is given, and all geographies are covered (Europe, North America, Asia), as well as all the technologies of electrolysis.
- Bottom-up approach based on equipment manufacturing: the forecast of production is built on exhaustive analysis of each of the 12 leading electrolysers manufacturers, in perspective of their project pipeline and cross-checked against multiple sources. It is a complementing approach to quantification based on the production of electrolyser that also helps differentiate the established makers from challengers out of the pool of participants in this market.
- Consolidated & summarized information by year, region, technology or factory project status, and the potential of H2 production from when the manufactured electrolysers will be installed