Morocco energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Morocco energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Energy Directorate of the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Environment (MEME) plays a central role in the implementation and coordination of the energy policy. It promotes the energy savings policy, the development of new energies and renewables. The Ministry of Finance is responsible for the taxation and financing of projects.
The commissioning in 1996 of the Pedro Duran Farrell gas pipeline between Algeria and Spain (Maghreb-Europe Gas Pipeline) made it possible for Morocco to receive natural gas. Between 2005 and 2011, imports corresponded to transit royalties (0.6 bcm). Natural gas imports increased in 2011 with the signature of a 10-year supply agreement between ONEE and Sonatrach for a volume of 0.64 bcm/year.
The price of electricity is US$14.5c/kWh for industry and US$11.4c/kWh for households. Prices decreased by about 14% for industry and 10% for households between 2014 and 2016, but have been rising since then (+10% for households and industry until 2018).
Per capita energy consumption is 0.6 toe, including 880 kWh of electricity (2018).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
The progression of total energy consumption has slowed since 2010 (2.5%/year, compared to 4.5%/year over 2000-2010), reaching 21 Mtoe in 2018.
Issues & Prospects
According to the MEME, the country's energy needs will more than triple by 2030. Morocco aims to cover 42% of its power capacity with renewable energy sources by 2020, and 52% in 2030.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Morocco energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018 %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
- GRAPH 10: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2018, %)
- GRAPH 12: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2018, %)
- GRAPH 14: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 15: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2018, %)
- GRAPH 16: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2018, %)
In the Morocco energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Morocco energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Morocco country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Morocco Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Morocco energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by