- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
38 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Morocco energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Morocco energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- In 2030, the country aims to reduce its energy consumption by 15%, compared with a BaU scenario, and to reach 52% of renewables in its power capacity.
- ONEE holds around half of the power capacity.
- An increasing share of the electricity production is provided by IPPs.
- Since 2015, Morocco has added 2.8 GW of capacity, mainly from coal and renewables.
- Imports cover 100% of oil and coal consumption and almost 90% of gas consumption.
- Motor fuel prices increased by around 20% in 2021, following international oil prices.
- Morocco aims to limit the influence of global oil prices on its budget.
- The growth in energy consumption slowed down between 2010 and 2019 and dropped by 7% in 2020. It is dominated by oil products (55%).
- The country plans to install more than 10 GW of renewables by 2030.
- Two LNG imports terminals are planned with a total capacity of 10 bcm in 2030.
share of coal in the power mix (2020)
renewable share in total power capacity by 2030
GHG emissions in 2030
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Sustainable Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MTEDD) plays a central role in the implementation and coordination of the energy policy. It promotes the energy savings policy, as well as the development of new energies and renewables. The Ministry of Finance is responsible for the taxation and financing of projects.
The national production of hydrocarbons is low. All the oil products are imported since the shutdown of the sole refinery of the country in 2015 (200 000 bbl/d). Oil product imports increased rapidly from 2015 to 2019 (+6%/year) and decreased by 12% in 2020 due to the COVID crisis.
Until 2013, wholesale and retail margins were fixed by the government.
Per capita energy consumption is 0.56 toe (around 42% below the North Africa average), including around 900 kWh of electricity (38% below the regional average) (2020).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
According to the MEME (now MTEDD), the country's energy needs will more than triple by 2030. Morocco aims to cover 42% of its power capacity with renewable energy sources by 2020, and 52% in 2030. In its new Low Carbon Development Strategy for 2050, Morocco aims to generate 70% of its electricity from renewables in 2040 and 80% in 2050.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2020 %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2020, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2020, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2020, %)
- GRAPH 10: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2020, %)
- GRAPH 12: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2020, %)
- GRAPH 14: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 15: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2020, %)
- GRAPH 16: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2020, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Morocco energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Morocco country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Morocco Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Morocco energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Morocco country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.