Canada Energy Information
Canada Key Figures
GDP growth rate: 4.70 %/year
Energy independence: 100%
Data of the last year available: 2021
CO2 Emissions: 14.2 tCO2/capita
Rate of T&D power losses: 5.71%
* at purchasing power parity
View all macro and energy indicators in the Canada energy report
Canada Related News
View all news, archive your new and create your own daily newsletters only on your topics/countries of interest with Key Energy Intelligence
Canada Related Research
Total Energy Consumption
At 7.5 toe, Canada's per capita energy consumption is among the highest in the world and almost triple the average EU level. Electricity consumption per capita is around 14.6 MWh.
Total energy consumption increased slightly between 2010 and 2019 (1.3%/year on average at normal climate). It dropped by 6% in 2020 with the Covid-19 pandemic and rebounded by 2.5% in 2021 to 289 Mtoe.
Fossils (coal, oil, and gas) represent three quarters of total energy consumption (gas 41%, oil 31%, coal 4% in 2021), followed by primary electricity (19%) and biomass (5%).
Interactive Chart Canada Total Energy Consumption
Crude Oil Production
Oil production (crude, NGL, and non-conventional oil) increased by 55% between 2010 and 2019 (4.6%/year) and has more than doubled since 2000. It dropped by 4.5% in 2020 to 255 Mt, due the reduction in oil demand caused by the pandemic, but increased again in 2021 to 270 Mt (+6%). The increase in production follows the development of non-conventional oil, which accounted for 58% of the country's oil production in 2021 (3.1 mb/d out of a total of 5.2 mb/d).
Interactive Chart Canada Crude Oil Production
Oil Products Consumption
The consumption of oil products dropped by 14% in 2020, with a large reduction in transport needs in 2020 due to travel restrictions. A small rebound occurred in 2021 (+3.5%) to 101 Mt.
The transport sector is the biggest consumer of oil products (52% in 2021), followed by industry with 39% (including non-energy uses).
Graph: : OIL CONSUMPTION (Mt)
Graph: : PETROLEUM PRODUCTS CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2021, %)
Interactive Chart Canada Refined Oil Products Production
Natural Gas Consumption
The consumption of natural gas has grown very rapidly since 2016 (6.3%/year) after a slower progression between 2010 and 2016 (1.2%/year). It decreased by 4.5% in 2020 and rebounded by 5% in 2021 to 139 bcm.
The oil and gas sector, in particular the exploitation of oil sands, is the largest consumer of natural gas with 46%. It is followed by buildings (24%), industry (16%), and power plants (14%).
Graph: : NATURAL GAS CONSUMPTION (bcm)
Interactive Chart Canada Natural Gas Domestic Consumption
Coal and lignite consumption decreased by 6%/year starting in 2008, reaching 28 Mt in 2020. That trend has now stopped. The power sector represents 82% of consumption and the remaining 18% is dedicated to industrial purposes.
Graph: : COAL CONSUMPTION (Mt)
Graph: : COAL CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2021, %)
Interactive Chart Canada Coal and Lignite Domestic Consumption
Electricity consumption increased by about 1%/year between 2015 and 2019. It dropped by 3% in 2020 because of the Covid-19 pandemic and remained stable in 2021 562 TWh).
Industry is the largest electricity consumer (33%), followed by the residential (32%), and services sectors (26%).
Graph: : ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION (TWh)
Graph: : ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2021, %)
Renewable in % Electricity Production
Ontario is committed to increasing the capacity of renewables to 20 GW by 2025. A bill on renewables (Green Energy and Green Economy Act) introduced feed-in tariffs (FiTs) in 2009. In 2016, the government launched its 2nd Large Renewable Procurement (LRP II), expecting to save C$3.3bn by replacing the FiTs scheme with a competitive process for 930 MW in total (600 MW wind, 330 MW solar, small hydro and bioenergy). However, half of the contracts, corresponding to 440 MW, were cancelled in 2018.
Interactive Chart Canada Share of Renewables in Electricity Production (incl hydro)
Benefit from up to 2 000 up-to-date data series for 186 countries in Global Energy & CO2 data
CO2 Fuel Combustion/CO2 Emissions
Between 2013 and 2019, GHG emissions remained relatively stable (around 710-740 MtCO2eq). However, due to COVID, emissions dropped by almost 9% in 2020 to 672 MtCO2eq (excluding LULUCF), which is 9.3% below 2005 levels.
Secured payment by