Skip to main content

Petronas, Sapura OMV start production at a 5.7 bcm/year gas field in Malaysia

The Malaysian oil and gas companies Petronas and Sapura OMV have announced the start of production at the Jerun gas field in Block SK 408, located about 160 km off the coast of Sarawak in eastern Malaysia. The field is expected to be able to produce up to 550 mcf/d (5.7 bcm/year) of natural gas. 

The Jerun field was first discovered in 2015 by SapuraOMV, following the drilling of nine exploration wells from 2014 to 2015. Sapura OMV, which operates the block, holds a 40% participating interest in the project, while the remaining 60% is equally shared by Petronas Carigali and Sarawak Shell. 

As of end-2023, Malaysia had proved natural gas reserves standing at 2,056 bcm and gas production stood at nearly 78 bcm in 2023.