Italy Energy Information
2019 Italy Key Figures
GDP growth rate: 0.30 %/year
Energy independence: 22.6%
* at purchasing power parity
CO2 Emissions: 5.26 tCO2/capita
Rate of T&D power losses: 5.65%
Italy Related News
Interested in a daily & world selection of energy articles? More information on Key Energy Intelligence
Italy Related Research
Total Energy Consumption
Italy's per capita energy consumption is 19% lower than the EU average (2.5 toe in 2019). Electricity consumption per capita is around 5 000 kWh, i.e. 10% below the EU average.
Total energy consumption has remained broadly stable since 2015, at around 150 Mtoe (-1.1% in 2019 to 149 Mtoe). It declined rapidly between 2005 and 2014 (by 2.6%/year).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Interactive Chart Italy Total Energy Consumption
Crude Oil Production
Domestic oil and NGL production (4.6 Mt in 2019) cover around 6% of the country's needs. Crude oil imports remained stable at 66 Mt in 2019. Six suppliers accounted for over 70% of crude oil supply, namely Iraq (20% in 2019), Azerbaijan (17%), Russia (14%), Libya (12%), and Saudi Arabia (8%).
Interactive Chart Italy Crude Oil Production
Oil Products Consumption
Oil consumption has remained relatively stable at around 53 Mt since 2013. It fell by 39% between 2000 and 2013.
Graph: OIL CONSUMPTION (Mt)
The transport sector absorbs a growing share of total oil products consumption (60% in 2018, up from 44% in 2000). It is followed by industry and non-energy uses (16%). Power plants accounted for just 8% of oil consumption in 2019, compared to 23% in 2000.
Graph: OIL CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2019, %)
Interactive Chart Italy Refined Oil Products Production
Natural Gas Consumption
Natural gas consumption has been increasing since 2008 (5%/year from 2008 and 2014 and 2.3% in 2019 to 74 bcm), following demand from the power sector.
Graph: NATURAL GAS CONSUMPTION (bcm)
Power plants accounted for 42% of the gas demand in 2019 (32% in 2000 but 45% in 2008), households and services for 38% (including 26% for households and 12% for services) and industry for 15% (30% in 2000).
Graph: GAS CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2019, %)
Interactive Chart Italy Natural Gas Domestic Consumption
Coal consumption has more than halved since 2012 (-55%, including -25% in 2019 alone) to 11 Mt in 2019, because of the closure of coal fired power plants. It rose rapidly between 1993 and 2004 to supply coal-fired power plants (above 4%/year).
Power generation accounts for around 70% of coal consumption (71% in 2019) and industry consumes most of the remainder (29%).
Graph: COAL CONSUMPTION (Mt)
Graph: COAL CONSUMPTION BREAKDOWN BY SECTOR (2019, %)
Interactive Chart Italy Coal and Lignite Domestic Consumption
Electricity consumption decreased slightly in 2019 (-0.8%) to 301 TWh. It rose by 1.7%/year between 2000 and 2008 and fell by 1.5%/year on average through 2014 (291 TWh), before recovering slightly (+1%/year between 2014 and 2018).
Graph: ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION (TWh)
Renewable in % Electricity Production
Italy will meet its 2020 renewable targets (17%), as the share of renewables in final energy consumption in 2018 was already 17.8% (34% for power, i.e. 8 points over the target) and 19% for heating and cooling (target of 17%). The INECP 2030 targets a share of 30% of renewables in final energy consumption, including 22% in transport and 33% in heat consumption). It plans 50 GW of solar PV in 2030 (+30 GW).
Interactive Chart Italy Share of Renewables in Electricity Production (incl hydro)
CO2 Fuel Combustion/CO2 Emissions
GHG emissions have been decreasing since 2005; in 2018, they were 16% below their 1990 level (439 Mt).
The NECP 2030 aims at cutting greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for all ETS sectors by 43% and for all non-ETS sectors by 33% by 2030 (compared to 2005).
Energy-related CO2 emissions dropped by 31% between 2005 and 2019 (to 318 MtCO2).
Graph: CO2-ENERGY EMISSIONS (MtCO2)
Secured payment by