- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
31 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Saudi Arabia energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Saudi Arabia energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- As part of its plan to reduce its dependence on oil, Saudi Arabia is opening the energy sector to private investment.
- The Saudi Green Initiative has set a target of 50% of renewables in the power mix in 2030.
- Saudi Aramco is the largest crude oil producer worldwide, with a production of 9.2 mb/d in 2021.
- SEC controls most of the power generation, transmission, and distribution.
- Oil production has decreased by 10% since 2018. Despite large natural gas resources and growing production, the country does not export gas.
- Gasoline and diesel prices have been raised substantially since 2014.
- Electricity prices were increased significantly between 2016 and 2018 and have remained stable since then.
- The country's energy consumption has been declining slightly since 2015 with the price increases and the economic slowdown.
- Saudi Aramco will invest over US$100bn to develop unconventional gas production.
oil exporter in the world
to develop the Jafurahunconventional gas field
of renewables in power production by 2030
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy oversees the energy sector and all energy policies.
SEC, Saudi Electric Company (75.1% public, 6.9% Saudi Aramco) was created in 2000 through the merger of the existing regional electricity companies ("SCECOS") with the national electricity production, transport, and distribution company.
Production has decreased by 11% since 2018 (-5% in 2019, -6% in 2020 and, -1% for 2021). It had previously increased by 24% between 2010 and 2018 (+34% since 2000). Total oil production reached 510 Mt in 2020 (12% of the global production). Crude oil represents 90%, while the rest is made up of NGLs.
Natural gas prices are regulated as well. They were stable from 1998 at around US$0.26/kWh before a 65% increase in 2016 to US$0.43/kWh, which is still extremely low. Prices have remained stable since then.
Consumption per capita is very high, reaching 6.6 toe in 2021, including about 9.2 MWh of electricity.
Total energy consumption has stopped growing since 2015 and decreased slowly (1.4%/year) to around 232 Mtoe in 2021. Before 2015, it had increased rapidly (4%/year over 2010-2015), driven by high sustained economic growth combined with low energy prices.
Issues & Prospects
Saudi Arabia targets a rapid increase in its gas production, with a focus on an increased penetration of gas in power generation. Saudi Aramco aims to double its gas production in ten years to more than 200 bcm/year by 2030.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-Energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Saudi Arabia energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Saudi Arabia country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Saudi Arabia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Saudi Arabia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Saudi Arabia country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.