BP starts producing gas at Atoll gas field in Egypt

13 Feb 2018

The British oil and gas company BP has started to produce gas from the US$1bn Atoll Phase one project in the North Damietta concession, located in the East Nile Delta offshore Egypt, seven months ahead of the initial schedule.

The Atoll field was discovered in March 2015 and is estimated to contain 1.5 tcf of gas (42.5 bcm) and 31 Mboe of condensates. It is BP's first new project to come onstream in 2018n now producing 350 mcf/d (9.9 mcm/d or 3.6 bcm/year) of gas and 10,000 bbl/d of condensate. The produced gas will be exported to the onshore West Harbor gas processing plant.

To date, BP and its joint ventures have produced almost 40% of Egypt's total oil production and almost 10% of Egypt’s annual oil and condensate production. BP currently covers nearly 50% of the country's total natural gas consumption through its joint ventures the Pharaonic Petroleum Company (PhPC) and Petrobel with EGPC/EGAS and partners. BP is developing the 5 tcf (141 bcm) West Nile Delta project, which will supply around 25% of the current Egyptian gas production once all its phases are complete.

Register to receive our daily newsletter

Interested in Power Plants?

Enerdata has developed a market research service to screen, monitor and analyse the development of power generation assets.

Power Plant Tracker offers an interactive database and a powerful search engine covering power plants worldwide – including both installed and planned capacities for renewables and fossil fuels.