Vietnam energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Vietnam energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) supervises the energy sector. Within the MOIT, the General Directorate of Energy (GDE) administers the energy sector through three Departments: Electricity and Renewable Energy, Petroleum and Coal, and Energy Saving and Sustainable Development.
PVN, PetroVietnam, the state-owned oil and gas company, dominates the oil sector. It operates through its various subsidiaries and affiliates like PetroVietnam Exploration and Production (PVEP) and PV OIL.
The marketed production of natural gas has been decreasing since 2015 by 3%/year to 9.5 bcm in 2018. It grew very rapidly between 2002 and 2010, from 2.8 bcm to 9.8 bcm (+19%/year, on average), following the commissioning in 2002 of the Nam Con Son field. Production growth then slowed down (about 3%/year) until 2015.
The gas price for power generation is regulated by the Government: this price has been rising since 2014.
Energy consumption per capita is low, at 0.9 toe and 1 900 kWh for electricity in 2018 (vs 1.4 toe and 2 500 kWh on average in Asia).
Since 2000, total energy consumption has increased at the significant rate of 6.3%/year, reaching 87 Mtoe in 2018. The consumption of coal and electricity has grown very quickly since 2000: by 14% and 13%/year, respectively.
Issues & Prospects
According to "The Energy Development Planning in Vietnam to 2025 with a vision up to 2035", the total primary energy supply in Vietnam is expected to grow by 5.3%/year between 2016 and 2025 and by 4.8%/year between 2016 and 2035, increasing from 80 Mtoe in 2015 to 136 Mtoe in 2025 and 218 Mtoe in 2035.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Vietnam energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Vietnam energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Vietnam energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Vietnam country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Vietnam Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Vietnam energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by