Russia energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Russia energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy is responsible for developing and implementing the country's energy policy.
Rosneft (Federal Government 50%, BP 19.5%, QIA 18.93%, Glencore 0.6%) is the largest oil company, accounting for around 40% of total oil production (2018). In 2018, Qatar Investment Authority (QIA) completed the acquisition of a 18.93% stake in Rosneft for US$4.25bn. In 2017, Rosneft acquired a 49% stake in Essar Oil's (India) for approximately US$13bn.
Oil production has been increasing by 1.4%/year since 2004, from 456 Mt to 560 Mt in 2019. In 2019, Russia was the world's second largest crude oil producer, after the USA and ahead of Saudi Arabia.
The State controls electricity prices for residential consumers only. In 2019, the average price for households was US$4.9c/kWh and US$4.0c/kWh for the industry. Electricity prices are 60-80% lower than in the European Union.
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (US$c/KWh)
Total per capita consumption reached 5.4 toe in 2019. Per capita electricity consumption was around 6 363 kWh.
Total energy consumption has been increasing rapidly since 2015, by almost 3.1%/year, to 783 Mtoe in 2019. Previously, it had decreased slightly between 2012 and 2015 (-1%/year) due to an economic slowdown and a recession in 2015.
Issues & Prospects
Russia's strategy is evolving further in the direction of Asia and in particular China and India, in a context of EU sanctions linked to the Ukraine crisis.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Russia energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
In the Russia energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Russia energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Russia country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Russia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Russia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by