- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
49 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Russia energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Russia energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- The energy strategy targets a 50% reduction in energy intensity between 2010 and 2035.
- Gazprom and Rosneft dominate gas and oil production with 65% and 37% of total production, respectively.
- Rosseti is the main power transmission and distribution company.
- Western companies are selling their stakes in energy companies.
- After a 5.8% drop in 2020, gas production increased by 9.6% in 2021.
- Electricity generation is dominated by natural gas (46%).
- Five nuclear reactors, totaling 5.5 GW, have been commissioned since 2017.
- Oil product prices are more than 50% lower than in the EU.
- Gas and electricity prices for households are, respectively, 10 and 5 times below the EU average.
- Total energy consumption rebounded by about 9% in 2021 after a 4% drop in 2020.
- Gas supplies 57% of the energy consumed.
- Investments in the energy sector will be strongly impacted by international sanctions linked to the invasion of Ukrainian.
- LNG production is slated to grow to over 140 Mt in 2035.
largest gas producer worldwide
of renewables in 2035
share of carbon free sources in power mix
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy is responsible for developing and implementing the country's energy policy.
Rosneft (Federal Government 40.4%, BP 19.75%, QH Oil Investment 18.93%) is the largest oil company, with a production of 3.91 mb/d (196 Mt in 2021 (+2.3%)), accounting for 37% of total oil production. In 2018, QH Oil Investment acquired 18.93% of Rosneft for US$4.25bn. In February 2022, BP announced that it will exit its shareholding.
Oil production rebounded by about 2% in 2021, to 523 Mt, after dropping by around 9% in 2020 and increasing by 1.3%/year between 2014 and 2019. Russia was the world's second largest crude oil producer in 2021, after the USA and at the same level as Saudi Arabia.
The price of gas is controlled by the State and determined according to the cost-plus pricing method. Certain cross-subsidies occur, in particular between industry and the residential sector.
Total per capita consumption reached 5.6 toe in 2021. Per capita electricity consumption was around 6 689 kWh.
Total energy consumption rebounded by about 9% in 2021 after dropping by 4% in 2020. It increased rapidly between 2015 and 2019 (2.8%/year).
Issues & Prospects
Russia is faced with the depletion of cheap oil fields and the necessity to explore new hard-to-reach and expensive-to-develop oil resources, growing corporate concentration, and increasing problems regarding access to financing.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Russia energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Russia country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Russia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Russia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Russia country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.