Paraguay energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Paraguay energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The energy sector is under the supervision of the Ministry of Public Works and Communication (MOPC), and more particularly the Vice Ministry of Mines and Energy.
ANDE (Administración Nacional De Electricidad) is the national electric utility. It is still vertically integrated.
Although poorly endowed with hydrocarbon resources, Paraguay has large hydroelectric potential (economically exploitable resources estimated at 68 TWh) that is already well developed both on a national level and in collaboration with the Mercosur countries.
Electricity tariffs are not subject to tax. Since 1995 (end of the monopoly) electricity prices have been based on fixed costs. The large share of hydropower results in relatively low power prices compared to other countries in South America.
Total energy consumption stands at 1.1 toe/capita and 1 800 kWh/capita for electricity (2018). Total and final energy consumption have increased at a rapid pace (4.5%/year since 2005 and 10%/year since 2015), reaching 7.3 Mtoe and 6.6 Mtoe, respectively, in 2018.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
An agreement between Bolivia and Paraguay was signed in June 2019 for the construction of a 2.2-3.6 bcm/year gas pipeline between the south of Bolivia and Asunción. It may be commissioned in 2024.
Another project within the framework of Mercosur foresees the construction of a gas pipeline (Gasin, Gas Integration project) connecting Bolivia, Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Paraguay energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018 %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Paraguay energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Paraguay energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Paraguay country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Paraguay Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Paraguay energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by