- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
25 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Paraguay energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Paraguay energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- The country aims at reducing its fossil fuel consumption by 20% and at reaching 60% of renewables in its energy mix in 2030.
- Almost all the capacity is based on multinational hydropower plants that are operated jointly with other countries: Itaipú with Brazil and Yacyretá with Argentina.
- Paraguay is the largest power exporter in South America and the seventh largest worldwide.
- The share of hydro in power generation reaches almost 100%.
- Oil products consumption is entirely covered by imports.
- Gasoline is 30% more expensive than in Brazil or Argentina, while electricity prices are among the lowest in South America and three times lower than in Brazil.
- Energy consumption per capita is among the lowest in South America.
- Total consumption is dominated by biomass and oil.
- Investments in the power sector will mainly go to the power grid, as the country uses a small share of its total production.
- EBC is investing in the first advanced biofuel of southern hemisphere: Omega Green.
share of hydro in power generation
largest power exporter in the world
share of biomass in final consumption
Institutions & Energy Policy
The energy sector is under the supervision of the Ministry of Public Works and Communication (MOPC), and more particularly the Vice Ministry of Mines and Energy.
ANDE (Administración Nacional De Electricidad)is the national electric utility. It is still vertically integrated.
The country's only refinery ceased operating in 2005. Since then, oil product consumption is entirely based on imports, which reached 2.4 Mt in 2020. Oil product imports grew strongly between 2013 and 2018 (11.5% per year) to a peak of 2.7 Mt.
Electricity tariffs are not subject to tax. Since 1995 (end of the monopoly) electricity prices have been based on fixed costs. The large share of hydropower results in relatively low power prices compared to other South American countries (second lowest after Argentina).
Total energy consumption stands at 1 toe/capita and electricity consumption at 1 920 kWh/capita (2020), which is 20% below the South American average.
Total energy consumption increased at a rapid pace between 2013 and 2018 (8%/year) to 7.3 Mtoe, and has slowly declined since then (-2%/year), reaching 7 Mtoe in 2020.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
The last Generation Master Plan (2021 - 2040) of ANDE relies on an annual increase of 5.8%/year in electricity consumption until 2030 and between 4.4 and 5.8%/year between 2031 and 2040, depending on the scenario. An additional 2.15 GW of generation capacity is planned on the long term, mainly based on PV (1.6 GW) and batteries.
- GRAPH 1: Co2-Energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2020, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2020 %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2020, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2020, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Paraguay energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Paraguay country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Paraguay Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Paraguay energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Paraguay country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.