Niger energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Niger energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
Niger is a country in West Africa. It is a member of ECOWAS, the Economic Community of West African States. The country includes part of the Sahara Desert. Its main resources are uranium, oil and coal.
The Ministry of Energy and the Ministry of Oil are responsible for the energy policy and supervises the two large energy companies.
Nigelec,Société Nigérienne d'Electricité (State 94.65%, national private stakes 4.75%, foreign stakes 0.6%), is the national electricity company.
Oil production started in 2011 after the country signed a US$5bn exploration and development agreement with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) for the Agadem region. Production reached a peak in 2013 (almost 900 kt) and then decreased by 17% between 2013 and 2016, subsequently increasing by 5% in 2018 to 770 kt.
Gasoline and diesel prices are very similar, at around CFAF 540/l in 2019 (US$0.92/l) and have remained quite stable since 2015.
The country's total energy consumption per capita is 0.15 toe, including 44 kWh of electricity. It is the second lowest energy consumption per capita in West Africa, behind Guinea Bissau, and the ninth lowest in the world.
Energy consumption has increased by 3.3%/year since 2013, but had jumped by almost 20%/year between 2011 and 2013.
Issues & Prospects
The other main issues to be dealt with over the next few years are the battle against deforestation (Niger loses 400 000 hectares of forest every year, mainly because of the use of wood for cooking), self-sufficiency regarding electricity, and the development of electrification.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Niger energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Niger energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Niger energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Niger country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Niger Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Niger energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by