- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
41 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Netherlands energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Netherlands energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- The end of the Groningen gas field's production was delayed at least until 2023.
- The National Climate Agreement targets a 49% reduction in GHG emissions by 2030.
- Power generation is dominated by RWE, Vattenfall, Eneco, and Engie.
- NAM is the largest oil and gas producer with around 60% of market share for gas and nearly 70% for oil.
- Gas production has dropped by 75% since 2013.
- The share of renewables in the power mix has increased by 24 points since 2010 to 35%.
- Electricity and gas prices for households soared in 2022 (doubling for electricity and tripling for gas).
- The excise price on gasoline and diesel was reduced by 30% from April to June 2023. The country has the highest gasoline price in the EU.
- Natural gas dominates the energy mix (42% in 2021).
- Coal is mainly consumed for power generation (63%).
- The government set a target of 21 GW of offshore wind in 2030 and 50 GW in 2040.
- Gasunie aims to build a 10 GW national transport network for hydrogen. Commissioning is expected for 2027.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy (EZK), through the Directorate-General for Climate and Energy, oversees the establishment of national energy and climate policies.
The Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, through the Directorate-General for the Environment and International Affairs (DGMI), is responsible for environmental policy.
NAM is the largest oil producer, with around 0.8 Mt in 2021 (69% of total production). It is followed by Dana (0.2 Mt) and Neptune Energy (0.1 Mt).
Netherlands has significant natural gas reserves (103 bcm of proven reserves at end-2021). Oil resources are scarce (21 Mt).
Electricity prices for households more than doubled in 2022 to €35c/kWh. Electricity prices for industry increased by 73% in 2021 to €20.2c/kWh.
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (€c/kWh)
Energy consumption per capita reached 4.1 toe in 2021 and is around 25% higher than the EU average, mainly because of the large refining and petrochemical industries. Per capita electricity consumption is 6 400 kWh, which is 20% above the EU average.
Issues & Prospects
According to NEO 2022, the primary energy consumption is forecast to decline by around 7% over 2021-2030. The decline would mainly come from space heating for final consumption and would mostly affect natural gas for primary consumption.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (€c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Netherlands energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Netherlands country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Netherlands Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Netherlands energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Netherlands country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.