Mozambique energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Mozambique energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The energy sector is under the responsibility of MIREME, Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy, which is responsible for the overall policy and institutional and regulatory framework, as well as setting energy targets and strategies.
The management of forests is the responsibility of the National Directorate of Land and Forestry of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Safety.
EDM, Electricidade de Moçambique, is the national power utility and is wholly owned by the State. The company is vertically integrated.
Mozambique owns large energy resources. The country has a large hydro potential, estimated at 18.6 GW with 5.6 GW presenting technical and economic feasibility. It is mainly located in the Zambezi Valley, which includes the existing Cahora Bassa Dam.
In 2017, average electricity tariffs for agriculture and industry were at US$6.7c/kWh (+8% compared to 2017). Electricity prices for households stood at US$10.3c/kWh, a 27% increase from 2017 levels.
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (US$c/kWh)
Per capita consumption is around 0.35 toe and around 460 kWh of electricity (2018). It is below the regional average.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
According to EDM's Integrated Master Plan (2018-2043), the company expects power demand to increase by 6%/year to 35.4 TWh in 2043. To meet this demand, up to US$19bn in investments will be deployed, adding over 10 GW into the grid (6 500 MW of hydropower, 3 200 MW of coal-fired, 1 500 MW of gas-fired, 60 MW of biomass, and 30 MW of wind).
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Mozambique energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Mozambique energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Mozambique energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Mozambique country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Mozambique Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Mozambique energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Mozambique country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.
Secured payment by