- 3 files (PDF report, 2 Excel files)
31 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Mozambique energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 3 files by email (one pdf report and 2 excel files containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Mozambique energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- The government aims to reach an electrification rate of 100% by 2030, up from 44% now, and to double the hydropower capacity by 2025.
- The country targets to reduce GHG emissions by around 20% in 2025, under condition of international support.
- EDM dominates power generation (70% of total capacity) and is responsible for electricity transmission and distribution.
- Eni, ExxonMobil, and TotalEnergies are the concessionaires of the large deep water offshore gas blocks.
- The country has huge offshore natural gas resources that could turn the country into a large LNG exporter. The first LNG export terminal started operating in 2022.
- Hydro represents over 80% of the electricity mix.
- Energy prices are regulated.
- Electricity prices are subsidised since 2012 because of the increasing cost of supply due to expensive gas-based power generation from IPPs.
- Gasoline and diesel prices are in line with regional averages.
- Per capita energy consumption is very low.
- Biomass is the main energy source (68%).
- The future of two large LNG export terminals, adding up to 30 Mt/year, is uncertain due to security issues.
- The abundant gas resources favour the construction of new gas-fired power plants.
Institutions & Energy Policy
MIREME, Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy is responsible for the overall policy and institutional and regulatory framework, as well as setting energy targets and strategies.
The management of forests is the responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MADER). It replaced the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Safety in 2020.
EDM, Electricidade de Moçambique, is the vertically integrated national power utility (100% State owned).
Mozambique produces NGL in very limited quantity and has no refinery, therefore, all the oil products supplied are imported, totalling 1.7 Mt in 20210 (stable since 2016).
Fuel prices, also called the price of sale to the public (PSP) (preço de venda ao público - PVP), are regulated by ARENE and cannot exceed the level set by the regulator. They vary according to international commodity prices to reflect global price variations.
Per capita consumption is around 0.35 toe in 2021, down from its 0.39 toe peak in 2015, which is 45% below the African average. Per capita electricity consumption reached around 400 KWh; it has decreased by 16% since 2011. It is 27% below the African average (2021).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
According to EDM's Integrated Master Plan (2018-2043), the company expects power demand to increase by 6%/year to 35.4 TWh in 2043. To meet this demand, up to US$19bn in investments will be deployed, adding over 10 GW into the grid (4 200 MW of hydropower, 2 000 MW of coal-fired, 8 500 MW of gas-fired, 60 MW of biomass, 530 MW of solar, and 150 MW of wind).
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Mozambique energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Mozambique country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Mozambique Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Mozambique energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).