- 3 files (PDF report, 2 Excel files)
28 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Mali energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 3 files by email (one pdf report and 2 excel files containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Mali energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- The electrification rate is expected to increase from 54% in 2021 to 87% in 2030.
- Renewables including hydro should account for 37% of the power mix by 2030.
- EDM was fully nationalised in 2018, following the exit of its last foreign shareholder. Its concession was extended until 2025.
- Several IPPs were commissioned in recent years, including Albratos (90 MW) and Akuo (50 MW).
- The number of EDM subscribers rose by more than 70% over 2015-2020.
- Since 2010, the country's installed capacity has doubled.
- A 140 MW hydropower plant was commissioned in 2022.
- Oil product imports have tripled since 2010.
- Oil product prices are regulated.
- In 2020, power subsidies amounted to US$50m.
- Biomass accounts for two thirds of the primary energy mix, but its share has dropped by 14 pp since 2010.
- Oil product demand has increased by more than 10%/year over the last decade.
- The country is developing hydropower and solar projects to improve electricity supply, as well as interconnections.
- Oil exploration activities have been on hold over the last 10 years due to political unrest.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Mines, Energy, and Water is responsible for energy policy, general organisation of the sector, the study and implementation of hydroelectric projects and regulation of the energy sector.
The Ministry of Economy and Finance supervises the National Office of Oil Products (ONAP).
Several international companies operate in the downstream oil market, including TotalEnergies (over 80 service stations), Vivo Energy (53 services stations), and Oryx Energies (26 services stations). They are gathered in the GPP ("Groupement des Professionnels du Pétrole"). Malian operators are grouped in GMPP ("Groupement Malien des Professionnels du Pétrole").
Mali has no proven fossil fuel reserves and is entirely dependent on imports. The hydroelectric potential of the country is estimated at 1 150 MW.
Oil product prices are regulated. They are revised on a monthly basis according to international prices, although the variations in international oil prices are not entirely reflected in motor fuel prices. A floating Tax on Petroleum Product Imports (TIPP) applies. The prices of gasoline and diesel rose by 4-5% in 2022 to US$1.08/l and US$0.96/l, respectively.
Energy consumption per capita is low, at about 0.3 toe/capita in 2021, compared to the average for Sub-Saharan Africa (0.6 toe/capita), but is higher than in neighbour countries (0.1 toe/capita in Niger and 0.2 toe/capita in Burkina Faso), including 140 kWh of electricity (2021).
Issues & Prospects
No oil block is in operation and two exploration permits, awarded to Sipex and Petroma, are still valid.
Sipex, an affiliate of Sonatrach, has an exploration and production permit awarded in 2007 for Block 20 of the Touadenni basin, adjacent to the Algerian border in Northern Mali. Since the 2012 crisis, Sonatrach has not restarted exploration activities.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 7: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 8: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Mali energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Mali country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Mali Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Mali energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).