- 3 files (PDF report, 2 Excel files)
26 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Kuwait energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 3 files by email (one pdf report and 2 excel files containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Kuwait energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- Kuwait aims to meet at least 15% of its electricity needs from renewables by 2030.
- MEW controls electricity transmission, distribution, and most of generation through one large IPP.
- KPC is the only operator in the hydrocarbon sector.
- Power generation increased by 12% in 2021.
- Natural gas accounted for 70% of the power mix in 2021.
- The Government started to cut energy subsidies in 2015.
- Oil product prices have remained stable since 2018, despite the surge in international prices.
- Per capita consumption is among the top 10 highest in the world.
- Final consumption increased by 10% in 2021.
- The country plans to significantly increase its power capacity from gas and solar.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Oil is responsible for overseeing activities related to oil and gas (upstream and downstream).
The Ministry of Electricity and Water (MEW) is responsible for the electricity sector. It is in charge of tenders in the power sector, as well as development of new energy sources.
KPC, via its subsidiaries, is also in charge of the entire gas sector.
Kuwait has around 14 Gt of oil reserves (102 Gbl, end of 2021, including half of the 5 Gbl of the Neutral Area shared with Saudi Arabia). The largest share of those reserves is located in the area of Burgan (considered to be the second largest oil field in the world, after Ghawar in Saudi Arabia). With about 7% of the world's conventional oil reserves, the country ranks 5th in the world.
Prices for road fuels are among the lowest in the world (ranking in the top 5) as they are heavily subsidised. In 2015, the government started to remove part of these subsidies.
Per capita consumption is very high, fluctuating around 7.6 toe since 2020 (in the world's top 10 highest), with electricity fluctuating around 15 MWh/capita since 2015 (also in the world's top 10).
Issues & Prospects
The public-private partnership programme is expected to cover about 7.5 GW of the 14 GW capacity increase over the next 20 years.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 7: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 8: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Kuwait energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Kuwait country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Kuwait Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Kuwait energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).