Indonesia energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Indonesia energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM or MEMR) is in charge of developing national resources and regulating state monopolies.
Pertamina produced around 30 bcm in 2018, up from 20 bcm in 2017 (+50%), representing 40% of the country's production. This large progression in its production in 2018 is due to the takeover of Total's operations on the Mahakam block: Pertamina is now the largest gas producer.
Natural gas production decreased by 12% between 2010 and 2019 (66 bcm in 2019). Production increased by 20% from 2007 to 2010. The rapid growth in the country's natural gas production seen in the 90s (6%/year) slowed down over the 2000 decade because of depleting fields (0.6%/year between 2000 and 2008).
Since 2005, the price of oil products is fixed by the Ministry of Energy and the Ministry of Finance according to the market price ("MOPS" +5%, Mid Oil Platts Singapore) and a variable subsidy rate. In 2015, the Government announced the capping of subsidies from premium gasoline and diesel.
Consumption per capita is 1 toe, while electricity consumption per capita is 890 kWh (2019).
Issues & Prospects
The Energy Outlook 2019 by the National Energy Council projects the energy mix to 2050 as follows in the BAU scenario: oil 27%, gas 15%, coal 14%, primary electricity 34%, and other renewables 10%. The final energy consumption would reach 549 Mtoe in 2050.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Indonesia energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 12: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 14: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 15: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 16: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
In the Indonesia energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Indonesia energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Indonesia country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Indonesia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Indonesia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by