Greece energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Greece energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change coordinates the energy policy and controls public companies.
The Regulatory Authority for Energy (RAE) regulates the electricity and natural gas markets according to EU Directives. Another energy law adopted in 2011 further strengthens the RAE.
Helpe (Hellenic Petroleum,35.5% HRADF, 45.5% Paneuropean Oil and Industrial Holdings) is the national oil company. In April 2019, Greece delayed the sale of 50.1% in Helpe (35.5% of HRADF and 14.6% of Paneuropean Oil stakes) as the shortlisted buyers, a consortium led by Glencore Energy and another led by Vitol, failed to submit binding bids before deadline.
Greece's hydrocarbon resources are negligible (this is subject to change with recent exploration activities launched in 2012). It has proven oil reserves of 1.7 Mt and proven gas reserves of 1.0 bcm as of 2018. It has considerable lignite resources (2.9 Gt). The hydro potential is estimated at 84 TWh/year. The country has a high wind potential, but very little of it is exploited.
Oil product prices more or less follow the fluctuations of the international market: the prices of gasoline and diesel increased by 14% and 29%, respectively, between 2016 and 2018 after a 34% fall between 2012 and 2016. In 2019, the price of premium gasoline decreased again by 3% to €1.50/l and that of diesel by 2% to €1.34/l.
Total energy consumption per capita is 2.1 toe in 2018 (down from 2.7 toe in 2008), including around 5 200 kWh of electricity (5 300 kWh in 2008); it is 31% lower than the EU average (3.1 toe). The significant decrease in consumption since 2008 is a result of the strong economic crisis.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
The coming years should see the application of the policy on the diversification of energy supplies and the penetration of natural gas.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Greece energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (€c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2018, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2018,%)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2018, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2018, %)
In the Greece energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Greece energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Greece country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Greece Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Greece energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by