Egypt energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Egypt energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
Two ministries share the main responsibility for the energy sector: the Ministry of Petroleum (MOP), which oversees the hydrocarbon sector and holds participation in state-owned oil & gas companies, and the Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy (MERE), which supervises several agencies, including the New & Renewable Energy Authority, the Nuclear Power Plants Authority and the Hyd
EEHC (Egyptian Electricity Holding Company) is the state-owned electric utility.
Oil production has declined by 11% since 2014, of which 2.6% in 2019 to 31 Mt. Production is concentrated in the Western Desert (56%) and the Gulf of Suez (20%) (2018).
As part of the IMF bailout, the Government increased electricity tariffs by 30% in 2016, 40% in 2017, 26% in 2018, and 20% in 2019. The Egyptian government increased electricity prices from 17 to 30% based on consumption from 1 July 2020. The country extended the plan to end electricity subsidies until the 2024-2025 fiscal year.
Energy consumption per capita stands at 0.93 toe, including 1 600 kWh of electricity (2019).
The country's overall consumption increased by 1% in 2018 and 2019 after growing by more than 8% in 2016 and 2017. It grew by 1%/year between 2010 and 2015, after a 6%/year increase over 2000-2010.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
Egypt aims to boost its capacity by up to 30 GW by 2025, 8 GW of which should come from renewables. EEHC plans to add 13 GW of thermal capacity totalling $20bn in investments between 2022 and 2027.
In 2016, the Ministry prepared a long-term strategy aimed at investing up to US$135bn to provide 51 GW of electricity until 2035.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Egypt energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 12: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2019,%)
- GRAPH 14: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 15: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 16: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
In the Egypt energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Egypt energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Egypt country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Egypt Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Egypt energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by