- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
24 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Congo energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Congo energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- Oil represents about half of the country's GDP and almost all exportation income.
- A new code for hydrocarbons was adopted in 2015. Gas flaring is now prohibited.
- Total and Eni are the leading producers of oil and natural gas, respectively.
- Energie Electrique du Congo (E2C) is the national electricity company.
- After a decline related to the maturity of some fields, oil production increased again in 2018 due to drilling at new oil fields.
- The installed power capacity has nearly quadrupled since 2010.
- Final energy consumption has remained rather stable over the last five years.
- Several dams are planned, including the very controversial Sounda Gorge project (600 MW).
largest oil producer in Sub-Saharan Africa
electricity capacity between 2010 and 2020
share of gas in power mix
Institutions & Energy Policy
Congo is located in Sub-Saharan Africa, and is bordered by Gabon, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Its capital city is called Brazzaville. Its main resources are hydrocarbons, wood, and minerals.
Eni is the leading natural gas producer, with a production of 1.37 bcm in 2020 (-11% compared to 2019).
Oil production increased slightly to 17.2 Mt in 2019 (+1.8%) after the 21% rise in 2018 due to the commissioning of several new fields (Moho Nord deep offshore, Lianzi, and Nené Marine). Nevertheless, it dropped by 10% in 2020 due to the covid crisis (15.4 Mt in 2020).
In 2019, total energy consumption per inhabitant was around 0.6 toe (0.2 toe without biomass), in line with the Sub-Saharan Africa average, including 290 kWh of electricity (around 20% below the regional average).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
Congo aims to raise its crude oil production as follows: 247 kb/d in 2021, 301 kb/d in 2022, and 342 kb/d in 2023.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2020, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2020, %)
- GRAPH 5: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 6: Total consumption market share by energy (2020, %)
- GRAPH 7: Final consumption market share by sector (2020, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Congo energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Congo country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Congo Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Congo energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Congo country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.