Congo DR energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Congo DR energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy and Hydraulic Resources controls the power sector.
The Ministry of Hydrocarbons is in charge of oil and gas issues. The Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development is responsible for the management of forests and climate change.
SNEL, the public national electricity company, is the main actor in the production, transport, and distribution of electricity. It had the monopoly until the liberalisation of the market in 2014. Some private companies have been created since then.
The country's main energy resource is hydroelectricity, with a very large potential of 100 000 MW (13% of the world's potential), located on the Congo River and its tributaries, with more than 40% of that potential situated on the site of Inga. So far, only 3% of this hydroelectric potential has been developed.
Gasoline and diesel prices are very high (among the top five countries in Sub-Saharan Africa), at about US$1.30/l in 2018. They are set by the government. They decreased in 2017, despite global price trend, but increased again in 2018. The government negotiates with oil importers on the average exchange rate to apply in the end-consumer price structure.
Energy consumption per capita is 0.4 toe, including around 90 kWh of electricity (2018).
Total consumption has increased by 2%/year since 2012.
Issues & Prospects
About 49 GW of new capacities are announced. The most important project is Grand Inga dam (40 GW). Only 3 projects are under construction, all from hydropower (331 MW).
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Congo DR energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 7: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 8: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Congo DR energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Congo DR energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Congo DR country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Congo DR Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Congo DR energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by