- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
36 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Chile energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Chile energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- Chile targets a share of 80% of renewables in the power mix in 2030 and zero-emissions in 2050.
- Around 40% of the coal capacity will be closed by 2025, with a total phase-out in 2040.
- Enel is the largest power company, with around 30% of power generation and half of the distribution.
- Around 10 GW of solar and wind have been commissioned since 2015, of which 1.8 GW in 2021.
- Renewables account for almost half of the power mix.
- Electricity prices are the second highest in South America.
- Industry absorbs 57% of the electricity consumption.
- Around 8 GW of wind and solar projects are under construction.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy is responsible for energy policy and planning.
Environment Ministry is in charge of climate change.
ENAP, Empresa Nacional del Petroleo, is a public holding involved in all the sector's activities through its subsidiaries: ENAP Magallanes for oil exploration and production; ENAP Refinerías for oil refining and storage; Sipetrol for the activities abroad (Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Iran, and Egypt); and Petro Servicio Corp. for oil engineering and related services.
Chile's fossil fuel resources are scarce: their reserves are estimated at 32 Mt for oil, 8 bcm for gas and 1.2 Gt for coal (end of 2021).
Oil prices increased in 2022 and stood at US$1.5/l for gasoline (+22.6%) and at US$1.2/l for diesel (+37.2%), which is a lower increase than international prices (+50%). Previous trends were in line with international prices: significant decline between 2013 and 2016, a rebound until 2018, then decline again until 2020.
Graph: GASOLINE & DIESEL PRICES (US$/l)
Energy consumption per capita is around 2 toe. The country's electricity consumption per capita is around 4 MWh.
Total energy consumption increased by 1% in 2021 to 38.3 Mtoe, after decreasing by 8% in 2020. It progressed before by 3.5%/year between 2014 and 2019.
Issues & Prospects
Chile's Energy Roadmap for 2050 targets a zero-emission power mix (mainly solar and wind) and a shift from private to public transportation which, according to the plan, should be low or non-carbon-emitting by 2050. New environmental standards, the promotion of energy efficiency and the eradication of energy poverty are also considered in the roadmap.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Chile energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Chile country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Chile Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Chile energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Chile country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.