Exploring the EU ETS beyond 2020 Publication
To prepare economic policy-makers for the debate surrounding the design of the 2030 framework for Climate and Energy policies and the revision of the EU ETS directive, Enerdata, together with I4CE and IFPen, publishes a report entitled "Exploring the EU ETS beyond 2020: a first assessment of the EU Commission’s proposal for Phase IV of the EU ETS (2021-2030).
The report details five challenges for a successful implementation of Phase IV of the EU ETS:
- Defining a CO2 reduction target in line with energy policies such as Renewables and Energy Efficiency,
- Implementing the Market Stability Reserve,
- Addressing carbon leakage risk through free allocation,
- Extending the EU ETS scope to include emissions from the road transport sector,
- Financing the low-carbon transition through various funding mechanisms based on auction revenues.