Publications

Qatar Energy selects Shell to join the 16 Mt/year NFS LNG project in Qatar

25 Oct 2022

Qatar Energy (QE) has selected the British oil and gas company Shell as its second partner on the 16 Mt/year North Field South (NFS) LNG project in Qatar. Shell has been awarded a 9.375% stake, the same as France’s TotalEnergies in September 2022. A 6.25% stake is now remaining out of the 25% that QE intends to make available for international partners (QatarEnergy will hold the remaining 75%).

Shell has already partnered with QE in July 2022 on the 32 Mt/year North Field East (NFE) LNG project (with a 6.25% stake), alongside TotalEnergies, Italy’s Eni, as well as the USA’s Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips.

Together, NFE and NFS form the wider North Field Expansion project to increase LNG production from the North Field, adding 48 Mt/year to Qatar’s export capacity and bringing it to 126 Mt/year by 2028. The upstream part of the project will develop the southern area of the North Field with five platforms, 50 wells and gas pipelines to the onshore processing plant. Downstream, there will be two 8 Mt/year liquefaction trains.

Register to receive our daily newsletter


Interested in LNG Databases?

World LNG Database offers a complete set of data on LNG markets. The service provides detailed information on existing and planned liquefaction and regasification plants. It also includes LNG shipping around the world, LNG contracts, time series on regasification and liquefaction capacities, LNG flows and LNG prices for all players in the market.