Germany's CO2 emissions from electricity estimated to rise by 13% in 2021

22 Dec 2021

According to first estimates released by the German Federal Association of Energy and Water Management (BDEW) and AG Energiebilanzen (AGEB), primary energy consumption should increase by 2.6% in 2021 but should remain below its 2019 level. Oil remained the largest energy consumed with 32% (despite a 5.1% drop), followed by gas (27%, +3.9%), coal and lignite (18%, +18%), renewables (16%, -0.2%), nuclear (6%, +7.2%) and others (1%).

Net power generation in Germany rebounded by 2.6% in 2021, in a context of economic recovery, especially thermal power generation (+8.9%, despite a 5.9% drop in gas-fired generation) and nuclear generation (+7.2%), while renewable generation dipped by 4.7% (-11% for wind power but +4.9% for solar PV and +5.4% for hydropower). Consequently, the German power mix was marked by a reduced share of renewables (from 44% in 2020 to less than 41% in 2021), and a higher share of coal and lignite (from 24% in 2020 to 28% in 2021). CO2 emissions from power generation thus rose by 13% in 2021, though remaining within the path of the Climate Protection Act. Electricity consumption rose by 2.9%, spurred by industrial consumption (+4%).

Where gas is concerned, gas consumption rose by 3.9%, back to its 2005-2006 level, in a context of colder temperatures. Most of consumption was covered by imports (nearly 95%) and the remaining 5% by domestic production. Gas consumption rose by 9.2% in the residential sector and by 1.7% in industry.

Register to receive our daily newsletter

Searching for comprehensive, up-to-date Energy & CO2 Data?

Then Global Energy Market Data & CO2 is your database! We provide world coverage of the oil, gas, coal, and power markets and a detailed overview of national supply & demand with annual data going back to 1970.

This energy database leverages more than 200 official data sources, which are processed by our analysts to provide fully harmonised data sets that are updated monthly.