Publications

CNPC and PDVSA reactivate 400,000 bbl/d refinery project (China)

6 Dec 2018

Chinese state-run oil and gas company CNPC (China National Petroleum Corporation) and its Venezuelan counterpart PDVSA (Petróleos de Venezuela) have reactivated a joint venture (JV) for the development of a 400,000 bbl/d refinery project in Nanhai (Jieyang prefecture, Guangdong province, China). The project is now slated to be operational in 2021 for a total construction cost estimate of US$9.53bn.

CNPC will make up 60% of the investment and the ownership while PDVSA will own the remaining 40% of the project. The refinery was planned more than a decade ago but the investment decision has been hindered due to the declining crude oil production in Venezuela.

Register to receive our daily newsletter


Interested in World Refineries?

Use this powerful business intelligence tool to assess current and future production capacities of oil products by country and by zone. Gain insight into companies' asset portfolios and future trends for refined oil production capacities, giving you the ultimate edge for strategy and decision-making.