Skip to main content

Cameroon plans a 350 MW gas-fired power plant in partnership with China

The Cameroonian Ministry of Water and Energy has started negotiations for the construction of a 350 MW gas-fired plant in Limbe with a consortium comprising Sunon Asogli and China Energy, a Chinese state-owned mining and energy group. Sunon Asogli is a Ghanaian independent power producer owned by the Chinese power utility Shenzen Energy (60%) and the China Africa Development Fund (40%); the company owns an operates a 560 MW gas-fired plant in Ghana.

The Limbe plant is expected to cost XAF176bn (US$290m). The Cameroonian government will contribute 15% of this amount, while the private partner will provide the remaining 85%. The consortium was the sole shortlisted bidder in May 2022, out of five applicants. Eranove was initially selected to carry out the project in 2014, but the partnership with the Cameroonian government did not progress.

Power plant tracker

Interested in Power Plants?

Enerdata has developed a market research service to screen, monitor and analyse the development of power generation assets.

Power Plant Tracker offers an interactive database and a powerful search engine covering power plants worldwide – including both installed and planned capacities for renewables and fossil fuels.

Request a free trial Contact us