- 4 files (PDF report, 3 Excel files)
48 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy United Kingdom energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 4 files by email (one pdf report and 3 excel files containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive United Kingdom energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- The government intends to phase out coal in 2024 and reduce GHG emissions by 78% in 2035.
- Power supply is dominated by EDF and RWE.
- British Gas is the leading supplier on the retail electricity and gas market.
- The share of carbon-free generation in the power mix has increased by 34 points since 2010 to 60% in 2022.
- Almost the entire fleet of nuclear reactors should be decommissioned over the next decade.
- The cap on the default tariff for gas and electricity was increased by 54% in April 2022.
- The price of gas for industry rose by 56% in 2022.
- Energy consumption at normal climate decreased by 3% in 2022 after a 3% increase in 2021.
- Coal consumption has dropped by 90% since 2012.
- The government plans to raise offshore wind capacity to 40 GW by 2030.
- The 2.2 GW Bradwell B nuclear plant progressed to the feasibility study stage in September 2022.
- Power interconnection projects total 25 GW are under development.
Institutions & Energy Policy
TheDepartment for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) oversees energy and climate change policy.
The gas and electricity sectors are regulated by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem), except in Northern Ireland where the Utility Regulator oversees these markets.
The UK has large oil and gas reserves, mainly located in the North Sea: 339 Mt for crude oil and 247 bcm for gas (at end-2022) that are declining rapidly (640 Mt and 1 200 bcm respectively in 2000). Shale gas reserves have been estimated at 39 900 bcm by the British Geological Survey (BGS), with 37 600 bcm in the Bowland Shale and 2 300 bcm in the Weald Basin.
The price of gasoline increased by 24% in 2022 to €1.89/l and the price of diesel soared by 28% to €1.99/l. In 2021, the price of motor fuels in €/l increased by 9-11%, after a decrease of 10% in 2020. Previously, gasolines prices increased by 2%/year between 2016 and 2019 and diesel prices by 4%/year.
Consumption per capita has shrunk by almost a third since 2000, bringing it to 2.3 toe in 2022. Electricity consumption per capita dropped by more than 20%, from 5 800 kWh in 2000 to 4 130 kWh in 2022.
Issues & Prospects
According to the Sixth Carbon Budget (for 2033-37), outlined in December 2020, total GHG emissions would shrink by 6.1%/year on average over 2020-2035.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2022, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2022, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (€c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2022, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2022, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Petroleum products consumption breakdown by sector (2022, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2022, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2022, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2022, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The United Kingdom energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the United Kingdom country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- United Kingdom Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the United Kingdom energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The United Kingdom country dashboards are complemented with country forecasts from EnerFuture (excel file) with scenario comparison.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- Demand: Primary energy consumption, final energy consumption, by fuel, by sector.
- Power: Electricity generation & capacities, by technology.
- CO2: Total CO2 emissions.
- Macro-economy: Main macro-economic assumptions.
- Key indicators: Energy intensity, share of renewables, CO2 emissions per capita and per unit of GDP.