United Kingdom energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive United Kingdom energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
TheDepartment for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) oversees energy and climate change policy.
The gas and electricity sectors are regulated by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem), except in Northern Ireland where the Utility Regulator oversees these markets.
Since 2013, gas production has remained relatively stable at about 40 bcm/year. Between 2000 (115 bcm) and 2013, gas production decreased by almost 70%.
Electricity prices rose rapidly between 2010 and 2015 (+50% for households and +43% for industry); they decreased in 2016 due to stronger competition, remained stable in 2017 and rose slightly in 2018.
The average annual electricity prices for industry were 11% above the EU average in 2018, while those of households were 7% below the EU average.
Consumption per capita has shrunk by almost a third since 2000, bringing it to 2.6 toe in 2019. Electricity consumption per capita dropped by more than 20%, from 5 800 kWh in 2000 to 4 500 kWh in 2018.
Total energy consumption has been decreasing by almost 2%/year since 2006 to 172 Mtoe in 2019.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
According to the Fifth Carbon Budget (for 2028-32), outlined in 2016, total energy consumption would shrink by 1.5%/year on average over 2015-2035, with oil accounting for more than half of the reduction. Total GHG emissions are expected to decrease by 3.3%/year over that period.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the United Kingdom energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (€c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Petroleum products consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
In the United Kingdom energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The United Kingdom energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the United Kingdom country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- United Kingdom Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the United Kingdom energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by