Tanzania energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Tanzania energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy is in charge of the country's energy policy and development, in particular through the Electricity & Renewable Energy Division and the Petroleum & Gas Division, which wascreated in 2017 from the partition of the Ministry of Energy and Minerals.
TANESCO, Tanzania Electric Supply Company Ltd(100% state-owned), is the national electric utility in Tanzania mainland.. In 2016, the Government announced plans to split TANESCO's generation, transmission and distribution activities by 2021 under the 2014 Electricity Supply Industry Strategy and Roadmap.
The country has around 37 bcm of economically recoverable gas reserves and 1.1 Gt of coal reserves (of which 24% are proven). The geothermal potential is estimated at 650 MW. Hydropower additional potential could reach 4.7 GW. In addition, Tanzania has high levels of solar power potential with 2 800 to 3 500 hours of sunshine per year.
Refined product prices are controlled monthly by the EWURA.
In 2018, the prices of gasoline and diesel are similar: US$1.04/l. Prices have increased since 2016 (+20% for gasoline, +30% for diesel), following global trends, but they are still lower than their 2014 level. These prices are in line with the African average.
Graph: GASOLINE & DIESEL PRICES (US$/l)
The total per capita energy consumption is around 0.35 toe (2018), 37% lower than the Sub-Saharan Africa's average. The per capita electricity consumption reaches around 110 kWh (2018) (70% lower than Sub-Saharan Africa's average).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
In 2017, the African Development Bank approved US$30m for the development of the country's domestic gas sector. Several licensing rounds have been launched in the Indian Ocean and in the Tanganyika lake. In particular the 2013 round included 7 deep offshore sea blocks and the North Lake Tanganyika block.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Tanzania energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 7: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 8: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Tanzania energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Tanzania energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Tanzania country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Tanzania Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Tanzania energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by