Taiwan energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Taiwan energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Bureau of Energy (BOE) of the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) is in charge of the energy sector.
Taiwan Power Company (Taipower) is the national electricity company (96.92% state owned).
Taiwan's fossil resources are very limited.
Premium gasoline and diesel prices increased from 2016 until 2018 by 22%/year each. Prices in 2019 were US$0.83/l for both gasoline and diesel (2019), while the price of motor fuels is about half that in Japan.
Graph: GASOLINE & DIESEL PRICES (US$/l)
The country's total consumption per capita reached 4.6 toe in 2019, which is 60% higher than the European average (2.9 toe in 2019). Electricity consumption per capita is around 10 600 kWh.
Total consumption increased slightly from 2012 to 2018 (0.3%/year on average). It decreased by 2.4% in 2019 to 110 Mtoe.
Issues & Prospects
Taipower's long-term Power Development Programme foresees growth in electricity consumption of 5%/year, the installation of 20 GW in large thermal capacity additions from 2017 until 2028, and 14.5 GW of retirements (11.5 GW of thermal and 3 GW of nuclear).
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Taiwan energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-Energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
In the Taiwan energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Taiwan energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Taiwan country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Taiwan Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Taiwan energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by