Oman energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Oman energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Oil and Gas (MOG) manages the hydrocarbons sector.
The Ministry of Housing, Electricity & Water (MHEW) is responsible for the planning and management of the electricity sector.
Proven oil and gas reserves amounted to 731 Mt and 677 bcm, respectively (end of 2018).
In the context of low crude oil prices, falling export revenues and a soaring budget deficit, the government introduced a subsidy cut for large industrial, commercial and government users in 2017; it also implemented new tariffs that reflect actual supply costs and vary according to peak hours and season. This new model could enable up to US$ 260m per year savings for the government.
Total consumption of energy per capita amounts to 5.4 toe (2018), i.e. three times higher than the global average. Per capita electricity consumption reached 6.9 MWh in 2018.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
In its last 7-year development plan (2018-2025), OPWP has forecast a peak demand growth of around 5% per year, from 6 200 MW in 2018 to 8 600 MW in 2025 and an electricity demand also growing at the same rate from 33 TWh to 46 TWh. Several gas-fired projects are being developed to meet the demand.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Oman energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 7: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 8: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Oman energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Oman energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Oman country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Oman Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Oman energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Oman country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.
Secured payment by