New Zealand energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive New Zealand energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
MBIE, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, is responsible for the energy sector policy.
The Ministry for the Environment takes care of New Zealand's climate change programme and is also involved in policy directives for renewable energy and electricity transmission activities.
Production of natural gas has decreased by 11% since 2014 to 4.5 bcm in 2019. About 29% of the production came from the Pohokura field, 18% from Mangahewa, and 17% from Maui (2018). Maui was the biggest gas field until 2006, when it had more than a 50% share.
In 2019, the price of natural gas for industry was US$1.57c/kWh and for households US$10.53c/kWh. The prices increased by 6%/year for households and 2%/year for industry between 2010 and 2014. Since 2016, they have continued increasing by 3% for industry and 9% for households.
Graph: GAS PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (US$C/kWh GCV)
Energy consumption per capita is high, at 4 toe and around 8 000 kWh for electricity in 2019.
Between 2010 and 2014, energy consumption increased by 2.7%/year and it has remained relatively stable since then (20 Mtoe in 2019).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
The electricity demand and generation scenarios of 2019 (refresh of the last report of 2016), prepared by the Energy Modelling division of the MBIE, explore the future until 2050 under five different scenarios: "Reference", "Growth", "Global", "Disruptive", and "Environmental". Total energy consumption should reach between 24 and 28 Mtoe in 2050.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the New Zealand energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
In the New Zealand energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The New Zealand energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the New Zealand country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- New Zealand Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the New Zealand energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by