Moldova energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Moldova energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
Moldova is a landlocked country bordered by Romania to the west and by Ukraine to the East. It was part of the Soviet Union and became an independent country in 1991. Transnistria is a separatist province that seceded from Moldova in 1992. It is not recognized by the UN and is officially considered as part of Moldova.
Moldova imports almost all the oil products it consumes (99.5% in 2018), mainly from Romania (98% for gasoline and 82% for diesel in 2018). Oil product imports increased by an average of 6%/year starting in 2015 and reached 0.99 Mt in 2018. The total consumption reached 0.9 Mt in 2018.
Regulated tariffs vary between the distribution companies and depend on the voltage level. ANRE approved a 30%-45% price increase (depending on the distribution company) in 2015. The price was reduced by around 10% in 2016 because of the 28% drop in the purchasing price from Moldovan Hydropower Plant and thanks to a favourable MDL/USD exchange rate.
Energy consumption per capita is approximately 1.1 toe/year (three times lower than the European average), including about 1 500 kWh of electricity (2018).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Graph: TOTAL CONSUMPTION MARKET SHARE BY ENERGY (2018, %)
Issues & Prospects
The Moldovan Energy Strategy 2030 foresees an average annual electricity consumption growth rate of 4.2%/year over 2020-2030. It also targets a power capacity increase of 800 MW, including 400 MW from renewables. The scenario released by the Institute of Power Engineering of the Academy of Science of Moldova (ASM) shows lower projections, with a power consumption growth of 2.1%/year by 2030.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Moldova energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Moldova energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Moldova energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Moldova country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Moldova Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Moldova energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by