Mauritania energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Mauritania energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Petroleum, Energy and Mines (MPEM) is responsible for the planning, elaboration, and implementation of the national energy policy. It also supervises the energy companies.
The Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development is in charge of sustainable development.
Mauritania's proven oil reserves are estimated at around 17 Mt (end of 2018). Following new discoveries in 2017, gas reserves were re-evaluated sharply upwards in 2018, from 28 bcm to 240 bcm.
The price is low compared to the high production costs, but high compared to the standard of living of the population (about half of the population lives on approximately US$1 per day). Prices for households have decreased by 14% compared to 2014. In 2018, electricity prices are US$11.7c/kWh for industry and US$8.7c/kWh for households.
Energy consumption per inhabitant is estimated at 0.33 toe, including 230 kWh of electricity (2018).
Total energy consumption is growing rapidly (+4%/year, on average, during the last decade) and stood at 1.5 Mtoe in 2018.
Issues & Prospects
One of the main priorities over the coming years is the development of new production fields.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Mauritania energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Mauritania energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Mauritania energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Mauritania country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Mauritania Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Mauritania energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by