- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
29 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Lao energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Lao energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- The energy policy is mostly focused on developing sustainable hydropower, wind, and solar and on achieving the electrification rate.
- IPPs control most of the power capacity.
- EDL owns and operates the power transmission and distribution networks.
- Power production has more than doubled since 2015. The share of hydropower in the power mix has dropped from 100% in 2014 to 71% in 2020, following the commissioning of a large lignite-fired power plant.
- The prices of gasoline and diesel are slightly higher than in neighbouring countries, while the electricity price is much lower.
- Lignite is the main energy source in the energy mix (56% in 2020). Households and services account for 51% of final consumption.
- Solar is increasingly considered as a strategic source for securing electricity supply.
- Power exports and underlying transmission projects are central to power development plans.
share of renewables in the energy mix in 2025 (excluding large hydro)
share of hydro in power generation in 2020
share of exports in electricity production in 2020
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy and Mines (MEM) is responsible for the energy sector and operates primarily through five departments: the Department of Energy Policy and Planning (DEPP); the Department of Energy Business (DEB) which is in charge of private sector investments in the power sector; the Department of Energy Management (DEM), which is in charge of drafting energy-related laws, regulations, g
Electricité de Laos (EDL) is the national public power company. It is vertically integrated, and involved in the production, transport, distribution, and export of electricity.
In 2007, the Government granted an exploration permit for the Savannakhet area, which is the main zone of interest in the country. Three permits had been granted in the past, but no drillings were carried out and the companies withdrew. Drilling has not started in the Champasak and Saravan PSC.
Electricity tariffs used to be heavily subsidized, the price of electricity was gradually increased over 2006-2017 as a component of EDL reform. Prices have been decreasing since 2018. The average price of electricity is US$7.4c/kWh for industry and US$6.5c/kWh for the residential sector in 2021.
Energy consumption is relatively low at 0.84 toe/capita (vs around 2 toe/capita in Thailand), including around 1160 kWh of electricity (2020).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
In November 2021, the Ministry of Energy and Mines unveiled a plan to diversify its power mix by developing solar, wind, and coal-fired power plants. The country, which is heavily reliant on hydropower, experiences power shortages during dry seasons and has to import electricity.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2020, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2020, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2020, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2020, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Lao energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Lao country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Lao Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Lao energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Lao country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.