Lao PDR energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Lao PDR energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Energy and Mines (MEM) is responsible for the energy sector and operates primarily through five departments: the Department of Energy Policy and Planning (DEPP); the Department of Energy Business (DEB) which is in charge of private sector investments in the power sector; the Department of Energy Management (DEM), which is in charge of drafting energy-related laws, regulations, g
Electricité de Laos (EDL) is the national public power company. It is vertically integrated, and involved in the production, transport, distribution and export of electricity.
Lao PDR does not have any proven oil and gas reserves. The main sources of energy and economic wealth are hydroelectricity and the forest. The gross theoretical hydroelectric resource potential is estimated at about 230 TWh and the wind technical potential at 223 TWh (up to 179 GW).
The price of gasoline and diesel is relatively high: US$1.24/l and US$1/l (2019), respectively. Compared to Thailand, these prices are around 15% higher (17% for diesel in 2018 and 14% for gasoline in 2019). Prices are more than twice those in Malaysia and Indonesia, which have significant fuel subsidies in place.
Graph: GASOLINE & DIESEL PRICES (US$/l)
Energy consumption is relatively low at 0.83 toe/capita (vs 2.05 toe/capita in Thailand), including around 780 kWh of electricity (2018).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
In its Vision 2030, the government targets 21 GW of power capacity, i.e. more than triple the current level. Around 85% of this capacity would come from renewables; the country aims at installing more than 17 GW of hydro by 2030.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Lao PDR energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018 %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Lao PDR energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Lao PDR energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Lao PDR country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Lao PDR Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Lao PDR energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by