France energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive France energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The General Directorate for Energy and Climate (DGEC) of the Ministry for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition (MEIT) is responsible for the development and implementation of France's energy policy.
The Energy Regulation Commission (CRE) regulates the electricity and gas markets.
Most of the oil consumed in France is imported; 52% in the form of crude oil (49 Mt in 2018) and 48% in the form of refined products (45 Mt, in 2018).
France received crude oil from three ports: Donges (near Nantes), Le Havre and Marseille. Six additional import points of refined products are located in Bordeaux, Dunkerque, Frontignan, La Rochelle, Port La Nouvelle, and Strasbourg.
A reduced VAT rate of 5.5% is applied on the subscription part of households' electricity bills.
In 2019, electricity prices in France were 82% lower than in Germany for households and 30% lower for industry. This is the result of the importance of nuclear and hydro in the power mix.
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (€c/kWh)
Consumption per capita stood at 3.6 toe in 2018 and is 17% above the EU average. Electricity consumption per capita is 17% higher than the EU average due to the high penetration of electric heating (6 500 kWh in 2018).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
According to the revised PPE (2020), total energy consumption of fossil fuels in the reference case is planned to decrease by 35% by 2030, compared to 2012, with a reduction in consumption of 80% for coal, 34% for oil, and 22% for gas. Final energy consumption is planned to shrink by 16.5% in 2028 (relative to 2012).
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the France energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (€c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
In the France energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The France energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the France country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- France Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the France energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by