- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
45 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy France energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive France energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- France plans to spend €7.2bn by 2030 to support hydrogen production.
- The country intends to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
- CO2-energy related emissions increased by 11% in 2021.
- EDF dominates the power market (75% of production and 56% of sales).
- Engie's share in the gas market is shrinking, but its share in the power market is growing.
- TotalEnergies is the third actor on the electricity and gas markets.
- Carbon-free sources supplied 92% of the power mix in 2021, including 68% of nuclear.
- The increase in electricity prices was capped at 4% in 2022.
- Total energy consumption rebounded by 7% in 2021 after a 10% decline in 2020.
- Nuclear dominates the energy mix (42% in 2021).
- Coal consumption has dropped by almost 40% since 2013 due to power plant shutdowns.
- Wind and solar capacities are expected to double by 2028.
- The country relaunched its nuclear program, with the possible construction of at least 6 new EPRs.
- Six interconnection projects totaling 7.5 GW, one of which is under construction (1 GW), are under development.
share of nuclear in the power mix (2021)
thermal capacities shut down since 2010
CO2 emissions from combustion since 2010
Institutions & Energy Policy
The General Directorate for Energy and Climate (DGEC) of the Ministry for the Ecological Transition (MET) is responsible for the development and implementation of France's energy policy.
The Energy Regulation Commission (CRE) regulates the electricity and gas markets.
Since 2020, France imports more refined products than crude oil, with 34 Mt of crude oil in 2021 (+2%, after -29% in 2020) compared to 46 Mt of oil products (+5.3% in 2021, after a 3.5% drop in 2020).
In general, taxation on energy is high, around 65 of the price of gasoline and diesel (2021). In 2015, the government undertook to reduce the price gap between gasoline and diesel in 5 years by increasing the excise tax on diesel.
Consumption per capita stood at 3.5 toe in 2021 and is around 25% above the EU average. Electricity consumption per capita is 21% higher than the EU average due to the high penetration of electric heating (6 584 kWh in 2021).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
According to the revised PPE (2020), total energy consumption of fossil fuels in the reference case is planned to decrease by 35% by 2030, compared to 2012, with a reduction in consumption of 80% for coal, 34% for oil, and 22% for gas. Final energy consumption is planned to shrink by 16.5% in 2028 (relative to 2012).
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (€c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The France energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the France country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- France Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the France energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The France country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.