- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
29 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Côte d'Ivoire energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Côte d'Ivoire energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- Côte d'Ivoire aims for renewables to represent 45% of the electricity mix in 2030.
- The updated NDC increased the GHG emission reduction target to 33% by 2030.
- Most of natural gas is produced by the Foxtrot consortium, while CNR accounts for 94% of crude oil output.
- The power sector is dominated by CIPREL and Azito Energy (60% of total production).
- Gas production is growing regularly.
- Gas covers around 70% of the power mix.
- Gasoline and diesel prices increased by 15% in 2020.
- Biomass represents 60% of total consumption.
- The electrification rate increased from 34% in 2011 to 94% in 2020.
- A capacity of around 800 MW should be commissioned in 2022.
- The 700 MW San-Pedro coal power plant was cancelled.
share of renewables in the 2030 mix.
oil production from the Espoir & Baobab fields.
share of biomass in total consumption.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Petroleum, Energy and Renewable Energies is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the energy policy through two directorates (hydrocarbons and energy). It oversees the state-owned energy companies.
The Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development is in charge of climate policy and renewables.
Foxtrot (an affiliate of Bouygues) operates the CI-27 block (Foxtrot), which accounts for 2/3 of the country's natural gas output (around 1.8 bcm in 2020, +13%). The company holds a 24% participating interest in the block, alongside Petroci (40%), Seci (24%), and Enerci (12%).
The other gas producers are CNR (26% of total gas output) and Petroci (8%).
Gas production is growing regularly (around 4%/year since 2010) to 2.4 bcm in 2020. The CI-27 block (Foxtrot) accounts for 2/3 of the country's natural gas output (around 1.6 bcm in 2020, +15%). Most of the production is consumed by the power sector (85% in 2020).
Electricity tariffs are set by the government. There are 7 different electricity plans, including a social tariff. The electricity prices for industry and households stabilized in 2021 (reaching US$12c/kWh and US$13.7/kWh, respectively) after increasing by 3%/year and 2%/year since 2016. In 2019, the government lowered the social tariff by 20%.
Energy consumption per inhabitant was around 0.41 toe in 2020 (-15% since 2013), which is higher than in Senegal (0.27 toe) and Ghana (0.39 toe), but lower than in Nigeria (0.79 toe). Per capita electricity consumption has increased by 27% since 2013 to 291 kWh, which is higher than in Nigeria (140 kWh) and Senegal (275 kWh), but much lower than in Ghana (485 kWh).
Issues & Prospects
The IMF expects sustained economic growth at more than 6% for the next 5 years.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2020, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: POWER GENERATION BY SOURCE (2020, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2020, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2020, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Côte d'Ivoire energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Côte d'Ivoire country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Côte d'Ivoire Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Côte d'Ivoire energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Côte d'Ivoire country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.