Colombia energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Colombia energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The energy sector is under the responsibility of the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME). UPME (Mining and Energy Planning Unit) is a special administrative unit of MME in charge of coordinating the planning of the sector.
Oil production increased by 2.5% in 2019 to 46 Mt after decreasing from 52 Mt in 2015 to 44 Mt in 2018. Between 2007 and 2011, it rose at the very rapid pace of 15%/year thanks to greater investments in the sector.
The total capacity of oil pipelines reaches 1.2 mb/d (2017).
The prices of electricity vary according to the regions. In 2019, they reached US$15c/kWh for the industrial sector and US$15.7c/kWh for households. Prices have followed inflation in recent years.
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (US$c/kWh)
Per capita consumption is around 0.81 toe and 1 300 kWh of electricity (2019).
Total energy consumption has remained roughly stable around 39-40 Mtoe since 2015 (40 Mtoe in 2019).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
According to the National Energy Plan through 2050, energy demand will increase by around 60% by 2050, with electricity and gas consumption increasing faster than oil consumption. Most of the electricity consumption rise will be linked to an increasing use of wind and solar technologies.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Colombia energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
In the Colombia energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Colombia energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Colombia country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Colombia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Colombia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Colombia country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.
Secured payment by