Cambodia energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Cambodia energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME) is in charge of the energy policy through the Department of Energy.
There is no production of crude oil as yet.
The country is divided into six offshore blocks (blocks A to F with the oldest Block A created in 2002) and nineteen onshore blocks (blocks I to XIX).
Of the six offshore blocks, only block A and C are currently assigned and carry out E&P activities.
Electricity prices are among the highest in the ASEAN region. They are around US$17c/kWh for households and US$13c/kWh for industry (2018).
There are still wide disparities in tariffs among different provinces because of the absence of a unified national network; in Preah Vihear for example, households pay as much as US$50c/kWh.
Per capita energy consumption was 0.52 toe in 2018, including about 510 kWh of electricity. This is relatively low compared to neighbouring countries.
Total consumption has been increasing rapidly since 2008, at around 10.5%/year and reached 8.5 Mtoe in 2018.
Issues & Prospects
In October 2019, ADB confirmed a 5-year country partnership strategy with Cambodia: US$1.45bn will be provided for renewable energy infrastructure and natural resources management, inter alia, with the aim of diversifying the sources of growth and building climate resilience.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Cambodia energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 7: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 8: Final consumption market share by sector (2018 %)
In the Cambodia energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Cambodia energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Cambodia country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Cambodia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Cambodia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Secured payment by