Brazil energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Brazil energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2019 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME) has the responsibility for the whole energy sector. The National Council for Energy Policy (CNPE), composed of government representatives, experts in energy and non-governmental organisations, establishes the energy policy.
EPE, the Energy Research Company under MME, is in charge of energy planning.
Petrobras (Federal Government 50.3% of common shares and 28.7% of capital stock) is the national oil and gas company and the largest Brazilian company.
The marketed production of gas increased rapidly between 2010 and 2017 (9%/year) and has decreased slightly since then to 26 bcm in 2019. Domestic production supplied around 70% of the country's needs in 2019. Almost 40% of the gas produced is re-injected, flared, or lost and 60% is marketed (2019).
Gasoline and diesel prices in Brazil are relatively low compared to neighbouring countries like Chile or Columbia (around 50% and 20% lower, respectively). In 2019, the price of gasoline was US$1.12/l (-5.8%) and that of diesel US$0.92/l (-2%).
With a per capita consumption of 1.4 toe (2019), Brazil is within the average range for semi-industrialised countries but well below the European average of 3.1 toe.
Total energy consumption has remained stable since 2016 (290 Mtoe in 2019) after a decrease in 2015 and 2016. It increased at a fairly rapid pace between 2000 and 2014 (3.5%/year, on average). it
Issues & Prospects
According to the 10-Year Energy Expansion Plan 2029 (Plan Decenal de Expansão de Energia 2029, PDE 2029), final energy consumption should grow by an average of 2.6%/year between 2019 and 2029. Electricity consumption is expected to increase by 3.8%/year, oil products by 2.8%/year, gas by 1.3%/year, and coal by 2.3%/year.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Brazil energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2019, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2019, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2019, %)
In the Brazil energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Brazil energy market data since 1990 and up to 2019 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Brazil country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Brazil Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Brazil energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Brazil country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.
Projections Data (Excel Sheet)
The Brazil country dashboards are complemented with country forecasts from EnerFuture (excel file) with scenario comparison.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- Demand: Primary energy consumption, final energy consumption, by fuel, by sector.
- Power: Electricity generation & capacities, by technology.
- CO2: Total CO2 emissions.
- Macro-economy: Main macro-economic assumptions.
- Key indicators: Energy intensity, share of renewables, CO2 emissions per capita and per unit of GDP.
Secured payment by