Bahrain energy report
This analysis includes a comprehensive Bahrain energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With 2018 market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
Immediate by e-mail
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
Institutions & Energy Policy
Bahrain is an island nation in the Persian Gulf, located between the Qatar peninsula and the north eastern coast of Saudi Arabia
The Ministry of Electricity and Water Affairs supervises the electricity sector, renewables, and energy efficiency.
The Ministry of Oil oversees the hydrocarbon sector.
The gas exploration and exploitation activities are managed by Banagas, Bahrain National Gas Company(State 75%, Chevron Bahrain 12.5% and K.S.C through Boubyan Petrochemical Company, 12.5%).
Banagas operates several gas plants to extract propane, butane and naphtha from associated gas extracted from the oil wells and refinery off-gas.
Gas production has remained stable since 2014 (15 bcm in 2018). Before it had increased rapidly between 2004 and 2014 (5%/year).
The fall in oil prices since 2014 (and absence of buffers) has caused a significant deterioration in Bahrain's public finances. Consequently, the government resorted to austerity measures, with several increases in fuel prices over the last 6 years.
Per capita energy consumption reached 9.3 toe in 2018, while electricity consumption per capita was 17 MWh.
Total energy consumption has increased slightly since 2014 (0.4%/year) to 14.3 Mtoe in 2018.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Issues & Prospects
Bahrain's electricity and water master plan projects that peak demand in summer will almost double from 3.4 GW in2016 to 6.5 GW in 2030.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Below is a list of the Bahrain energy market report graphs:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2018, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Gas prices for industry (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2018, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2018, %)
In the Bahrain energy market report you will find the following tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Bahrain energy market data since 1990 and up to 2018 is included in the Excel file accompanying the Bahrain country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Bahrain Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Bahrain energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Bahrain country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.
Secured payment by