- 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
31 (Report only)
- Immediate by e-mail
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
Buy Albania energy report
Price without VAT. Depending on your statute and location, VAT might be applicable. Get in touch with us for more information.
After validation, you will immediately receive 2 files by email (one pdf report and one excel file containing the datasets).
This analysis includes a comprehensive Albania energy market report and updated datasets. It is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil and gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The report provides a complete picture of the country situation, dynamics, current issues and future prospects. With market data and continuous follow-up of markets news, this report brings clear and concise insights with which to tackle national energy challenges and opportunities. Browse the tabs below for a detailed table of contents, the list of graphs and tables, and details on the data files.
- Albania is slowly transposing the European acquis, with significant delays in the adoption of new legislation.
- National power utility KESh dominates power generation, while Bankers Petroleum accounts for most of oil and gas production.
- The power supply, which is highly dependant on hydropower, fell by 22% in 2022.
- Oil production is limited and decreasing.
- Electricity prices are much lower than the EU average, while gasoline and diesel prices are close to EU prices.
- Energy consumption has slightly increased since 2010.
- Oil and hydropower dominate the energy mix.
- The country continues to develop its hydropower potential and is also accelerating on renewables with PV projects and the launch of the first wind power auction.
- The country will benefit from the TAP gas pipeline.
Institutions & Energy Policy
The Ministry of Infrastructures and Energy supervises the energy sector.
The National Agency of Natural Resources (AKBN) is in charge of implementing the energy policy and regulating the hydrocarbon sector and mining activities.
An Energy Regulatory Entity (ERE), in charge of regulating the energy market and electricity prices, was set up in 1995.
Bankers Petroleum accounts for around 90% of gas production (2020).
Albgaz owns all gas infrastructures (10 km of operational gas pipelines and 500 km of idled ones). The company was spun off from Albpetrol in 2017 to take over Albpetrol's gas activities and was certified as the gas transmission and distribution system operator.
Oil production has nearly halved since 2014, from 1.4 Mt to 0.7 Mt in 2021, due to low international prices that cut investments in the sector. Most of this production is exported. Production tripled between 2004 and 2014.
Electricity prices for households have been increasing since 2015 (+3.2%/year) to €10c/kWh in 2022. They remained stable between 2011 and 2014 at around €11.6c/kWh. Residential prices are much lower than the EU average (around -65% in 2021).
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR HOUSEHOLDS (€c/kWh)
Consumption per capita is much lower than the EU average, at approximately 0.8 toe (73% below the EU average), including nearly 2 500 kWh of electricity (57% below the EU average) (2021).
Issues & Prospects
According to the National Energy Strategy, annual gas consumption should reach 1.5 bcm by 2030 and 1.7 bcm in 2040.
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2021, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2021, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2021, %)
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GDP growth, imports and exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil and gas reserves, electric and refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All are detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data including consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source and sector, and electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Single table displaying the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator.
The Albania energy market data since 1990 and up to
is included in the Excel file accompanying the Albania country report.
It showcases the historical evolution, allowing users to easily work with the data.
Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Albania Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Albania energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
The Albania country report is complemented with a national power generation dashboard (excel file) from our Power Plant Tracker Service.
Data included in the excelsheet:
- New capacities: Current power mix, installed capacity at date, capacity under construction and under development.
- Power Sector Performances: Historical data on installed capacity, power generation, thermal power plants inputs, average thermal power plant efficiency, CO2 emissions of the power sector, carbon factor of the power sector.