Shale gas production costs: Historical developments and outlook
Enerdata’s recent article on shale gas production costs has been published by Elsevier, a major information analytics company. The paper, already available online, will be part of the latest volume of the Energy Strategy Reviews journal. It aims at providing a better understanding of the potential future of shale gas in the light of the evolution of its wellhead production costs. In this article, our energy experts highlight the following points:
- US shale gas wellhead costs have declined since 2012 due to technological progress.
- The impact of external factors on these costs shouldn't be underestimated.
- Shale production costs remain moderate by 2040 however favorable scenarios may be.
- Main drivers of US future shale costs won't be geological but technological.
- The same costs trend could occur in other countries like China.